Population: 16,205 per the 2000 Census
Area: 3 square miles
Location: 2 miles east of Hobby Airport, 11 miles from Downtown Houston. Take Exit 35 on I-45 South (Gulf Freeway), and turn East onto College Avenue (turns into Spencer Highway).
Business Profile: The City of South Houston is the home of over 600 independent business owners, comprised primarily light manufacturing and fabricating related to the petroleum and chemical industries, and service and retail oriented businesses. It is adjacent to the Houston Ship Channel and Refinery Complex, Pasadena, Deer Park, and eleven miles from downtown Houston, a short distance to Clear Lake area, Galveston and the NASA Johnson Space Center. Nearby is the San Jacinto Battleground and Monument where Texas won its independence from Mexico.
City Government: The City of South Houston operates with an elected City Council, who serve staggered two year terms, and an elected Mayor, who serves a two year term as the City's Chief Executive Officer. The Mayor appoints the heads of city departments, with the advice and consent of the City Council.
Public Safety: The City of South Houston is served by the Police Department with 32 officers, the Volunteer Fire Department with xx members and the Emergency Medical Services, with 32 members (Medical Director plus 16 certified EMS technicians, 3 Chaplains, and 12 additional volunteers).
Schools: The City of South Houston is located within the boundaries of the Pasadena Independent School District, which is a highly rated school district. comprised of 5 high schools, xx middle schools, and xx Elementary schools, Located within the city limits of South Houston are: South Houston High School, South Houston Intermediate, Matthys Elementary, South Houston Elementary, L. F. Smith Elementary and Pearl Hall Elementary.
History: The City of South Houston was founded in 1907 by developers for the Western Land Co. and was originally known as DUMONT. South Houston was incorporated as a town in 1913 with a mayor and two aldermen. W. Thayer, Sr. served as first mayor, and W.L. Turner and J.W. Clark as aldermen. The city government was adopted, consisting of a mayor and five councilmen. The first school was built in 1908 and by 1911 the town had 1,000 residents. In 1910 Western Land Co. and the Houston Post paid French Aviator Louis Paulhan $20,000 to put on a flying demonstration on the prairies of South Houston. This event has been designated the "First Flight in Texas" by the Texas Historical Commision. A historical marker is located at 58 Spencer Highway. L.F. Smith and Guy Hahn began building airplanes in South Houston in 1910 and they took part in air shows in 1911. South Houston was one of two substations on the Houston-Galveston interurban that operated from 1910 to 1935. In 1915 a devastating hurricane destroyed the school, hotel and several factories. Only the school was rebuilt and it reopened in the spring of 1917. South Houston was the home of the Christy Brothers Circus and owner, George Christy, served as mayor for many years. The South Houston oil field opened in 1935 and there are working wells in the city today.
The Small Town Atmosphere of South Houston can be called "The Friendly City with Easy Living."